Positioning ReDiscover to Meet the Future Needs of Behavioral Health Care
2017 will prove to be a pivotal year for behavioral health and the systems that provide that care. The Excellence in Mental
Health Act will have a profound effect on system delivery, reimbursement and services provided.
Most certainly there will be changes to the Affordable Care Act and there is talk of changes to Medicaid and behavioral health funding. One thing is certain, change is on the horizon and we must be poised to protect and enhance behavioral health priorities.
Contact your legislator in support of behavioral health.
ReDiscover's Ambassadors of Hope visiting legislators in Jefferson City on behalf of ReDiscover.
2017 ReDiscover Advocacy Plan: Our Three Areas of Focus
Access to Services
Ensure prompt use of services to achieve the best possible behavioral health outcomes.
- Advocacy, outreach and media campaigns to increase access to services.
- Engage in advocacy and policy efforts to support state inflationary rate adjustments.
- Advocate to raise awareness and educate the public to protect Medicaid from Federal policy proposals that fundamentally change program scope and financing.
- Use data to inform policy and engage policymakers regarding effectiveness of treatment.
- Disseminate objective program findings to inform policy discussions and government actions to support behavioral health programming.
Enhance capacity of the behavioral health system to provide high-quality, transformative services.
- Advocacy and policy strategies to address the opioid epidemic.
- Engage in advocacy and policy efforts to promote the use of evidenced-based practices such Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT), care integration and recovery services.
- Advocate for the creation of a statewide prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP).
- Engage in advocacy efforts to preserve the coverage of substance use disorder conditions as an essential health benefit, including the preservation of Medicaid.
- Advocacy and policy strategies to address the suicide epidemic.
- Support comprehensive zero suicide legislation, policies and programs.
- Engage in advocacy efforts to preserve the coverage of mental health conditions as an essential health benefit, including the preservation of Medicaid.
- Advocacy and policy strategies to enhance the APRN Scope of Practice
- Engage in advocacy and policy efforts to remove Advance Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) restrictions including expanding prescriptive authority.
Strengthen the Behavioral Health System
Strengthen the capacity of the behavioral health system
- Advocacy and policy strategies to support a strong safety net
- Support implementation and expansion of federal funding for behavioral health clinics as outlined in the Excellence in Mental Health Act.
- Educational strategies and training programs to support a strong safety net
- Promote initiatives that support public awareness and effective response to mental illness and substance use disorders.